Advertising

Rugeley man suffers burns after throwing petrol on bonfire

By Charlotte Callear | Rugeley | News | Published:

A man suffered flash burns after a bonfire became out of control in his back garden.

The victim's burned legs

The 32-year-old suffered 17 per cent superficial burns to his face, arms, chest and legs after he used petrol on the fire in Rugeley on Thursday.

Crews were called to the scene just after 9.15pm and he was taken to Royal Stoke Hospital by ambulance for treatment but his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

Station Manager Simon Craythorn said: “Ideally garden waste should be disposed of safely at local refuse centres or composted, but if you absolutely must burn it then there are some vital things to avoid.

“We would strongly advice people not to use petrol or any accelerant to start a fire or encourage it to grow – this incident shows just how dangerous this is.

“This fire was located far too close to nearby trees and could have easily spread to the foliage, we have also had fires that have spread to nearby buildings so always make sure there is enough clear space around the fire, taking into consideration weather conditions.

“Never burn waste after consuming alcohol. This also applies to barbeques. Being under the influence can greatly affect your judgement and responsiveness, putting you at greater risk of injury.”

Charlotte Callear

By Charlotte Callear
@CCallear_Star

Reporter based at the Express & Star's Wolverhampton head office

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

Advertising

UK & International News