South Staffordshire Council granted permission last year for 17 homes on the land on the north west side of Stafford Road.
And this week the council’s planning committee considered plans to add seven more homes to the site.
The field is next to land where up to 200 new homes are being built after proposals were allowed on appeal.
A number of South Staffordshire Council committee members were also opposed to the smaller development at Tuesday’s meeting and called for it to be rejected.
A proposal to refuse permission failed to gain enough support however and a second vote was taken to approve the latest plans.
Ward councillor Josephine Chapman said: “What was originally applied for was 17 homes and 17 homes were accepted. This application wants to increase it to 24 and there isn’t a need to build so many more new houses because Bloor Homes is currently in the process of building 200 homes in the next field.
“I object to this application on the basis of the number of houses that are going to be built. It will not be as attractive or acceptable to local residents.
Concerns were also raised about traffic issues on the A449 Stafford Road and parking.
Councillor Isobel Ford, who represents the Penkridge North ward, said: “This is very worrying when we have so many problems with the A449 at the moment.
"It’s adding to them and it will be an extra problem when we have the 200-property development from Bloor Homes.”
But the county’s highways authority raised no objections to the application.
Councillor Robert Reade said: “We talk about objecting on highways grounds but it would be lost on appeal.”