Man dies after being pulled from water at Lichfield pool

A man has died after getting into difficulty in the waters of a pool in Lichfield.

The man was spotted in difficulty in the water at Stowe Pool near Lichfield Cathedral
The man was spotted in difficulty in the water at Stowe Pool near Lichfield Cathedral

The man was rescued from Stowe Pool, off Stowe Road near the city centre and cathedral, at 5.38pm yesterday.

It is unclear at this stage how the man came to be in the water.

Stowe Pool, top left, is a popular beauty spot for visitors and is close to Lichfield Cathedral, bottom right. Picture: Google

Paramedics and firefighters attended the scene to help the man, aged in his 50s.

He was taken to hospital but died a short time later.

Death referred for independent investigation

The Independent Office for Police Conduct is being notified over Staffordshire Police's contact with the man prior to his death.

It is not known what the nature of this contact was at this stage.

A Staffordshire Police spokesperson said: "There are believed to be no suspicious circumstances and the man’s next of kin has been informed.

Stowe Pool is a well-known beauty spot for visitors to Lichfield

"A report is being prepared for HM Coroner.

"The matter is being referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct due to previous police contact.

"Anyone with information is asked to call 101 quoting incident number 638 of July 8."

Summer open water tragedies

The man's death follows recent open water tragedies which claimed two lives over the past fortnight.

An 18-year-old man disappeared in the waters of Shavers End Quarry, near Stourport, at around 8.30pm on Sunday.

Police yesterday confirmed a body had been recovered from the water.

Police cordoned off the area surrounding Shavers End Quarry following the discovery of a body

Extra measures such as concrete blocks have been introduced at one of the entrances to the quarry in the aftermath.

An investigation by West Mercia Police is under way. The teenager has yet to be publicly identified.

Ten days ago, Carl Storer, aged 21, died after trying to rescue a young girl from Chasewater Reservoir.

Emergency services were called to the reservoir on June 30 after Mr Storer, from Tamworth, got into difficulty when he went into the water to help a nine-year-old girl.

Carl Storer, 21, died after getting into difficulty in Chasewater Reservoir

The girl was rescued by another passer-by.

Mr Storer was found a short time later following a search by the emergency services.

Extra police patrols were made around Chasewater as councillors advised people of the dangers of swimming in open water.

Most Read

Most Read

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News