Advertising

Fire at pony rescue centre in Staffordshire caused by faulty generator

By Liam Keen | Eccleshall | News | Published:

A large fire at a pony rescue centre in Staffordshire was caused by a faulty generator, Staffordshire Fire Service have confirmed.

The fire damage. Photo: StaffsFire

Crews from Stafford, Penkridge, Stone, Newcastle, Cheadle and Eccleshall were called to Elverra Pony Rescue, in Swynnerton Road, in Sturbridge, near Eccleshall, at around 8.30am today.

Firefighters led two dogs to safety – a dalmatian and springer spaniel – and managed to stop the fire from spreading to land occupied by 11 ponies. No one was injured in the fire – but the farm has been "totally destroyed".

Explosions could be heard around the area – but a spokesman from Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said this was as a result of pressurised containers which burst due to the heat of the fire and were no cause of concern. Smoke could also be seen from some distance away.

Photos at the site show burnt out barns that have been completely destroyed by the blaze.

The fire damage. Photo: StaffsFire

Paul Shaw, fire investigation officer at Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "We found the fire was caused accidentally due to a faulty generator.

“The stables were well alight when the crews arrived and it would appear the blaze had been burning for some time. Fortunately the firefighters managed to prevent the fire spreading further towards the static caravan that the owners lived in.

"However the rest of the farm is totally destroyed.

Advertising

“Thankfully no one was injured during this incident and all the animals were lead to safety quickly.

"It is however a massive loss to the owners who have lost the majority of their business. Our business support team is on hand to help assist them going forward.”

Two firefighters wore breathing apparatus while officers used a hose reel jet, two main jets and foam to tackle the blaze.

By midday, the operation was scaled down as the fire was put out.

Liam Keen

By Liam Keen
Reporter - @LiamKeen_Star

Trainee reporter at the Express & Star, primarily covering Wolverhampton. Got a story? Get in touch on 01902 319688.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News