Advertising

Garden centre forced to close after fire breaks out in outbuilding

By Charlotte Callear | Eccleshall | News | Published:

Firefighters tackled a blaze at a garden centre which caused power cuts in two schools and a care home.

Staff and visitors at Fletcher's Garden Centre in Stone Road, Eccleshall, had to be evacuated the blaze involved an outbuilding with a thatched roof at the centre this morning.

Nearby homes had no power as firefighters tackled the blaze because the overhead power cables have been earthed to make the area safe for crews.

@StaffsFire

Crews from Longton, Rising Brook and Stafford were sent to the scene. No injuries were reported.

The fire was extinguished and the garden centre was back open by 4pm.

A Staffordshire Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said: "We were called to reports of an outbuilding on fire at 11.45am.

"Fire involves a 10x10m outbuilding with a thatched roof.

"Longton Rising Brook and Stafford attended. No reported injuries, the garden centre was closed and our business support officer is attending to provide business with advice and support.

"Colleagues from the electricity board have earthed the cables to make the area safe."

Charlotte Callear

By Charlotte Callear
@CCallear_Star

Reporter based at the Express & Star's Wolverhampton head office

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

Advertising

UK & International News