Firefighters' warning after Cannock kitchen fire

Firefighters are reminding residents to take extra care – after they were called out to a kitchen fire in Staffordshire which started after items were left on top of a cooker.

Crews from Cannock fire station attended a property in Mosswood Street, in Cannock, shortly before 5.30pm on Monday, following reports of a small fire taking hold in the kitchen.

Two breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet were used to extinguish the blaze which had started after items had been left on top of the cooker. Crews then ventilated the kitchen, making the area safe.

All occupants had left the property before crews arrived and no one was hurt.

Dez Stoddart, station manager at Staffordshire Fire and Rescue said: "Incidents like these are relatively commonplace in the home and are known to have serious consequences.

"In the last five years, 61 per cent of fires in Staffordshire homes began in the kitchen with people becoming increasingly distracted when cooking.

"Fortunately, most of these were dealt with quickly, safely and without injury but we still want to remind people that they take extra care when in the kitchen and prevent incidents like this from happening in the first place."

Most Read

Most Read

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News