Advertising

Man, 75, dies after accidental blaze at Cannock home

By Thomas Parkes | Cannock | News | Published:

A pensioner has died after a fire which started accidentally ripped through his home in Cannock.

Haig Close. Photo: Google

The 75-year-old was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham after the blaze in Haig Close on Friday, which was caused by smoking materials.

Firefighters from Cannock and Stafford rescued the man – and extinguished the fire – at around 2.55pm.

The man was taken to hospital with serious burns but died later the same evening, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue service said.

Graham Mills, head of emergency response at the service, said: "This is an extremely tragic incident and our thoughts are with the man’s family and friends during this difficult time.

"A joint fire investigation has taken place with colleagues from Staffordshire Police which found that the fire started accidentally and was caused by smoking materials."

His family have been informed and a report will be prepared for HM Coroner.

Lisa Jenkinson, prevent delivery lead for Cannock and South Staffordshire, added: "This is a stark reminder of just how much extra danger smoking can put you in, and to never leave smoking materials unattended.

"It is one of the biggest causes of fire deaths that we see which is why it is highlighted in our SAME campaign.

"The campaign aims to raise awareness of smoking and the other three fatal fire factors; alcohol, mobility issues and being elderly, which are all likely to increase your risk of dying in an accidental fire."

Thomas Parkes

By Thomas Parkes
Senior Reporter - @TParkes_Star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star, based in Wolverhampton. Got a story? Get in touch at thomas.parkes@expressandstar.co.uk.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

Advertising

UK & International News