Pregnant woman taken to hospital after Cannock fire
A pregnant woman was taken to hospital following a fire in Cannock started by a chip pan.
Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to a property in Laurence Grove, in the Norton Canes area, at around 7.30pm on Monday to reports of a fire in the kitchen.
Two crews from Cannock fire station attended and found the fire had been put out before they arrived. The property was heavily smoke logged and firefighters ventilated the building.
A woman, in her 30s, who was heavily pregnant, was given oxygen therapy by the crew to treat for smoke inhalation – before she was taken to hospital by ambulance for precautionary checks.
The fire service discovered that the blaze started in a chip pan – and station manager Paul Harpin is reminding residents to use a temperature controlled electric fryer instead.
Mr Harpin said: "This was a serious incident given the condition of the resident and we hope the woman involved makes a fast recovery.
"We believe a neighbour entered the property to tackle the fire and although their actions are to be commended we would advise people never to try to put a fire out yourself. Always leave the property, stay outside and call us.
"The service has been campaigning for a long time for people to get rid of their old chip pans and replace them with the far safer thermostat controlled deep fat fryer. Unfortunately many homes still have the traditional pans which are so much more hazardous.
"The old fashioned chip pans continue to get hotter and even once the heat is removed they stay hot for a long time. The oil can spit out and burn the person using. This could then cause them to drop the pan and a larger fire to start.
"So many of the fires we attend at people’s homes start on the kitchen. Please think twice before using your chip pan and opt for a safer alternative."
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.