Advertising

Police officer cleared of assaulting partner after argument at home

By Jamie Brassington | Cannock | News | Published:

A West Midlands Police officer has been found not guilty of assaulting his former partner after a trial at court.

Cannock Magistrate's Court

Detective Constable Spencer Mabley, aged 45, from Cannock, was accused of the assault at his home last year.

The pair met up on May 15 to reconcile their ‘on and off’ relationship but the night turned sour, Cannock Magistrates Court heard. Prosecuting, Mouzam Razaq claimed Mr Mabley was drunk and threatened his former partner before assaulting her.

But Mr Mabley, who was defended by Eva Niculiu, denied this and told the court that she was the one who was drunk and committed an assault.

In his version of events, Mr Mabley said he also stopped his former partner from ‘drink driving’ after she took his car keys and tried to drive away.

He and his family broke down in tears after District Judge Ian Strongman delivered his not guilty verdict. He said: “It seems both consumed alcohol on the night and both versions of events may be true or not. I find Mr Mabley not guilty.”

One family member told the Express & Star: “It is a nightmare that has ended.”

John Tooms, a representative of the Police Federation, who spoke on Mr Mabley’s behalf, said: “We are pleased with this outcome but we can’t comment further due to an internal police misconduct hearing.”

Jamie Brassington

By Jamie Brassington
Senior Multi-Media Journalist - @JamieB_Star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star. Contact me at jamie.brassington@expressandstar.co.uk.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

Advertising

UK & International News