Residents' fury over return of 449-home estate plan for Norton Canes
A controversial plan for a 449-home estate has resurfaced to the dismay of neighbours.
Persimmon Homes and Bloor Homes had secured permission in principle from Cannock Chase District Council for the homes at Norton Hall Lane in Norton Canes, seven years ago in 2011.
Not a single brick has been laid since then and many residents who had opposed the scheme assumed it had fallen through. While those who have moved into the village afterwards were none the wiser.
But now the latest part of the scheme, which sets out the proposed layout, has finally come forward leaving the community baffled over the saga. Dozens of residents turned up at Norton Canes Community Centre on Tuesday evening, with many believing they were there to cast their eye over an entirely new development.
The night turned sour and prompted angry scenes when people were told the scheme had already been granted approval and will go ahead.
The latest ‘reserved matters’ application does however require the formality of being agreed by the council’s planning committee.
It has now emerged the developers’ initial proposal was not actually signed off by council officers until 2015 due to lengthy discussions over some of the conditions.
Councillor John Preece, who represents Norton Canes, said: “It is unusual it has taken so long. A lot of the residents thought it was a new application that they could change and object to.
“The problem is the developers have already got permission, all they needed to do was come up with a layout. I completely understand why residents were so frustrated.”
Nicky Moran, posted on the Norton Canes and Heath Hayes Facebook page: “Just come out of the shambles of the planning meeting about the new housing estate. At 9pm it was getting more than a little rowdy so we left. What a waste of everybody’s time.”
A spokesman for Persimmon Homes and Bloor Homes said: “Our proposed development in Norton Canes will provide a range of much-needed new housing in a sustainable and attractive location close to the centre of the village. We are working closely with officers to design a sensitive scheme with significant areas of public open space which will help preserve and enhance the character of Norton Canes.
“Subject to reserved matters planning approval, construction work on the first homes is anticipated to start in the spring of 2018.”