Warning over the use of bio-ethanol heaters after fire in Norton Canes

Firefighters are warning residents about using bio-ethanol heaters after a fire in Norton Canes.

The crew was called to the scene at about 10pm on Saturday.

The residents had recently constructed their own fireplace and installed an inset bio-ethanol fuel fire.

After around five minutes use, the fire flared up and they noticed burning on surrounding wood work. The fire was extinguished before firefighters arrived and no one was hurt.

Bio-ethanol flame-effect fires have become popular as they offer the visual attraction of flames like a real fire but do not require a flue or chimney.

Head of learning and development, Simon Craythorn, said: “The open flame element used in these type of heaters presents a real fire danger and makes them highly unsuitable for use near any flammable materials in the home.

“We are asking everyone who has a real flame bio-ethanol fire to take a few minutes to make themselves fully aware of the fire risks and safety advice below. As with any naked flame in the home, we recommend to never leave them on unattended and keep them well away from anything which could catch fire.

“Please only purchase them from reputable retailers and ensure the manufacturer’s instructions are followed carefully.”

Most Read

Most Read

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News