Woman rescued from Chasewater Reservoir after wakeboarding accident

By Liam Keen | Burntwood | News | Published:

A teenager was taken to hospital after a wakeboarding accident at Chasewater Reservoir.

Paramedics with a floatation raft at Chasewater. Photo: @thewulfrun

The crash happened when the 18-year-old fell awkwardly after a jump while wakeboarding with watersports company Pier 52.

Paramedics used a boat to bring the woman to shore from a pontoon after she was pulled out of the water by staff around 25 metres out in the lake.

The teenager was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham with concerns for her back and neck, but tests showed she suffered muscular injuries that are not thought to be serious, Pier 52 owner Dean Russell said.

Mr Russell explained: "One of our members was riding on the cable wakeboarding and took a nasty fall as she came off a jump.

Paramedics rescued the woman and were helped by firefighters. Photo: @thewulfrun

"She had some pain in her neck so our staff rescued her from the water and pulled her onto the pontoon and braced her as we waited for the ambulance to arrive.

"She was taken to QE and after scans it isn't serious, only muscular injuries.

"Injuries happen in sports and in the unfortunate circumstances our staff acted swiftly and efficiently , alongside the fabulous work of the emergency services."


Paramedics were called just after 6.30pm on Sunday. Photo: @thewulfrun

Emergency services were called to the site off Pool Lane in Brownhills at around 6.37pm yesterday.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesperson said: "An ambulance, a paramedic officer and the Trust’s Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) paramedic attended the scene.

"On arrival crews found a woman on a floating platform, approximately 25 metres out on the lake, who had been injured.


"HART paramedics donned water rescue equipment to reach the woman by boat.

"She was given treatment by HART paramedics before being transferred by boat back to shore before she was taken by land ambulance to Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham."

Four Staffordshire Fire Service crews also attended the scene to help paramedics, and a water rescue team from Newcastle-under-Lyme helped move the woman from the boat and onto the ambulance.

The incident happened a week after 21-year-old Carl Storer died as he tried to save a nine-year-old girl from the reservoir.

Liam Keen

By Liam Keen
Sports Reporter - @LiamKeen_Star

Sports journalist at the Express & Star, primarily covering Walsall FC and grassroots sport across the Black Country and Staffordshire. Got a story? Get in touch on 01902 319456.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News