Advertising

New Tipton homes plan backed despite residents' concerns

By Andrew Turton | Tipton | News | Published:

Dozens of new homes will be built in Tipton despite concerns from campaigners about the building project and more traffic.

Land in Princes End, Tipton, which will be the site of homes. Picture: Google

Sandwell councillors have formally approved the plans for 61 houses to be constructed on parcels of land in Princes End.

People living in the area objected to Sandwell Council saying they believe the development will impact on their quality of life.

But the plans were moved without further public discussion when it came before the full council last month.

Members of Sandwell Council’s planning committee had already backed the scheme earlier in the year.

In total, 63 new homes will be built on council-owned sites bordered by Strathmore Road, Kingsbury Road, Sandgate Road, Ridgeway Road and Henn Street.

Two of the pieces of land were once home to Swancroft House, a Help for the Aged property, and Glebefields House, a base for people aged 65 and over.

But they have both since been demolished. The third site was grassed open space.

Ron Roberts, whose mother lives nearby, helped organise a minibus taking a group of residents to attend the fully council meeting on July 17.

Advertising

"There will be disruption. There will be traffic coming up and down these roads. It is mainly older people living around there," said the 50-year-old who lives off Arthur Road, in Tipton.

"We were disappointed not to be able to discuss it further at the meeting."

The homes are part of Sandwell Council's aim to create hundreds of new homes in the borough over the next three years.

Sandwell Council cabinet member, Councillor Paul Moore, said: "We are proud of our plans to build more than 600 new council houses across Sandwell by 2020, fulfilling a vital need for local residents.

"Plans for this site in Tipton were approved by our planning committee and full consideration was given to all representations made through the formal consultation process.

"The opportunity for residents to speak formally about their concerns is given at the planning committee meeting, which for this application took place in April."

Andrew Turton

By Andrew Turton
Digital Journalist

Digital journalist based at the Express & Star's head office in Wolverhampton. Interested in breaking news and social media. Get in touch on Twitter @aturton_star or andrew.turton@expressandstar.co.uk

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News