Father's last kiss before Sandwell road tragedy

By Jessica Labhart | Sandwell | News | Published:

A father who had just kissed his daughter goodbye after leaving church died from multiple organ failure after being hit by a car travelling almost double the speed limit, a court has heard.

Wolverhampton Crown Court

57-year-old Kamran Raja, of Gospel Farm Road, Acocks Green, appeared at Wolverhampton Crown Court on Monday charged with causing death by dangerous driving and causing death by careless driving.

The court heard how Mr Raja, who pleaded not guilty to both charges, was driving his black Audi sports quattro chambrulay along the A4123 Wolverhampton Road on April 2 2016 when there was a collision.

The car collided with Edward Harris who had travelled in his Honda from Our Lady and St Hubert's church in Warley to drop his daughter, Annette Hall, home. He kissed her on the cheek and dropped her off, making plans to meet up again the following Monday. Mr Harris was then looking to cross the Wolverhampton Road from Castle Road West onto Castle Road East to travel home when he was hit by Mr Raja's car.

Mr Harris died at 11.15pm on April 3 at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham after suffering 'multiple organ failure'. Prosecutor, Mr Antonie Muller told the court how collision investigators worked out Mr Raja was travelling at 79 miles per hour on the 40 miles per hour road at the time of the crash.

Professor Sir Keith Porter, consultant trauma surgeon at the hospital treated Mr Harris on April 2. He confirmed that Mr Harris suffered a small bleed on the brain, four separate fractures to right side and six fractures to the left side of his ribs, a bruised lung, bruising to his liver, a fracture to the 'cup' of the hip joint, pubic bone and right ankle as well as an abrasion to the right shoulder.

Mr Muller asked Professor Porter whether a small bleed to be brain can be life-threatening. Professor Porter said: "In an elderly patient it can be life-threatening, yes.

"It became obvious that providing on-going care to Mr Harris was becoming futile. He was placed on a ventilator and the decision was then made by his family to remove support."

Defending Mr Raja, Graeme Simpson said: "The ambulance handover notes show that the air-bag deployed in Mr Harris' car and that he was wearing his seatbelt. His pulse was within a normal range after the collision and his oxygen levels were restored. He was also at a normal level of consciousness and got himself out of the car. He remained stable during the transfer to hospital, but he was taking medication for high blood pressure."

Judge Mr Simon Ward told the jury that the medical evidence given by Professor Porter was not in dispute.

The trial continues.

Jessica Labhart

By Jessica Labhart

Reporter for the Express & Star, primarily covering Wolverhampton.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star


UK & International News