Leisure centre staff help save man's life after cardiac arrest on badminton court

Leisure centre staff have been praised for their quick thinking actions which saved a man's life at a badminton court.

Steve Cox, Helen Bowen, Martin Jones and Brendon Healy
Steve Cox, Helen Bowen, Martin Jones and Brendon Healy

Brendon Healy and Steve Cox came to the aid of 73-year-old Martin Jones, who collapsed from cardiac arrest while watching others play at Crystal Leisure Centre in Stourbridge.

A fellow badminton player began giving Martin CPR and was swiftly joined by Brandon and Steve on June 28.

They were able to step in and use one of the centre’s defibrillators to give Martin lifesaving treatment until paramedics arrived.

Duty manager Helen Bowen helped set up the defibrillator and manage the scene.

Martin regained consciousness at the centre and after receiving medical care is now recovering well.

He said: "I’ve been playing badminton at the leisure centre for many years and up until that morning I had been well. I remember suddenly feeling dizzy and the next thing I knew I was surrounded by paramedics having regained consciousness in the centre.

"I can’t thank the people who helped save me enough. They gave me lifesaving treatment until the paramedics arrived and I will be eternally grateful.

"Thanks to the swift response of them and others, I’m now on the mend and all being well I hope to back at the leisure centre playing badminton sometime soon once my treatment is finalised."

Crystal Leisure Centre, which is run by Dudley Council, has two defibrillators and staff at the centre are trained on how to use them as well as being first aid qualified.

Councillor Simon Phipps, Dudley Council's cabinet member responsible for leisure centres, said: "I am incredibly proud of Brendan, Steve and Helen and their quick response to come to Martin’s aid and offer lifesaving treatment.

"I’ve heard how they were able to stay calm and professional in what is probably one of the most stressful situations they could have faced on a Monday morning at work.

"Thankfully Martin is recovering well but this incident demonstrates how important it is to have defibrillators in public buildings. They help save lives in critical situations."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Top Stories

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News