Advertising

TV fault blamed for house fire that killed MS victim

By Jordan Reynolds | Kingswinford | News | Published:

A fire which killed a disabled woman is believed to have been started by an electrical fault in a TV, an inquest heard.

The aftermath of the house fire in The Knoll, Kingswinford. Photo: SnapperSK

Gillian Nash, 64, died at the scene in The Knoll, Kingswinford, at about 9.10pm on September 12.

An inquest was opened by coroner Zafar Siddique at Black Country Coroner’s Court in Oldbury today.

Mrs Nash’s family did not attend.

Mr Siddique said a post mortem has been carried out but further tests were being carried out to establish the exact cause of Mrs Nash’s death.

He said: “Mrs Nash was found deceased at the address given on September 12.

Smoke

“Mrs Nash was living at home, she was bed-bound due to a medical condition of multiple sclerosis.

“She lived with her husband and the front room of the house was used as her bedroom.

Advertising

“On the evening of September 12 Mr Nash left his wife with a carer, the carer then left Mrs Nash at about 9pm and Mr Nash returned home and found smoke coming from the house.

“He attempted to reach his wife but the smoke was too dense.

“Firefighters were called and Mrs Nash was pronounced deceased at the scene.

“The cause of the fire at this stage is considered to be an electrical fault in a TV.

“The cause of death is pending as tests are now being performed after a post mortem. My condolences to her family and friends.”

The inquest was adjourned until a provisional date of November 12 at 10.30am.

Jordan Reynolds

By Jordan Reynolds
Reporter - @jreynolds_star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News