Two cut free as car overturns after crash with fire engine

By Harry Leather | Halesowen | News | Published:

Two men had to be cut free when a car overturned after a crash with a fire engine.

The roof of this car was cut off after a crash in Illey Lane, Halesowen. Photo: Halesowen Police

The men were taken to hospital but are not thought to have been seriously injured in the crash which happened in Illey Lane, Halesowen, this morning.

The fire engine from Northfield was not responding to an emergency when the crash happened.

Two more fire crews were sent to the scene at around 9.40am and the roof of the silver Toyota Yaris was cut off to get the men out.

They were both taken to hospital in Birmingham after being treated at the scene. Police officers also attended but nobody was arrested.

Firefighters freed the men before they were taken to hospital. Photo: Halesowen Police

Illey Lane was closed at its junction with Bromsgrove Road until around 1pm while the emergency services dealt with the incident.

A West Midlands Fire Service spokesman said the circumstances around the crash were being investigated.

"Just after 9.40am on Thursday one of our fire engines was in a collision involving two cars in Illey Lane, Frankley," the spokesman said.


"The engine, from Northfield Community Fire Station, was carrying five firefighters. It was not responding to an emergency.

"Two further fire engines subsequently attended the scene.

"Crews released two men from one of the cars, and they were taken to hospital by West Midlands Ambulance Service for treatment.

"None of the firefighters sustained any apparent physical injuries.


"The circumstances of the incident are under investigation."

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman said: “We were called by the fire service at 9:43am to an RTC involving a car and fire engine on Illey Lane in Halesowen.

"We sent two ambulances, two paramedic officers and a BASICS doctor to the scene.

"On arrival, crews found two patients, both men in the car.

"They were extricated from the vehicle and treated for injuries not believed to be life threatening before being taken to the QE Hospital in Birmingham for further treatment.”

Harry Leather

By Harry Leather
Digital Editor - @hleather_star

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News