Angry traders hit out as busy Brierley Road closed for a week

By Dayna Farrington | Brierley Hill | News | Published:

Disgruntled business owners say they were '"left in limbo" and lost trade when a busy Brierley Hill road was closed for nearly a week.

Amber Ali, left, and Parvez Ali, right, from the Royal Adeel restaurant, with Robert Mantle, centre, who runs Flowers Now in Dudley Road

Dudley Road was closed to traffic from Saturday to Thursday after panels came off the former Pulse nightclub, narrowly missing people waiting at a nearby bus stop.

Dudley Council was aware of the issue on Saturday and said on Monday it had organised a contractor to remove dangerous panels and make the roof safe "as a matter of urgency".

However the road, which is next to Brierley Hill High Street and was closed between Level Street and Venture Way, did not reopen until Thursday evening and nearby traders say they were left in the dark as their businesses suffered.

Panels came off the roof of the old Pulse nightclub on Saturday

Robert Mantle, who runs Flowers Now with his wife Diane, said: "It has been a right nuisance – we are losing business.

"The last we heard off the council was that they were waiting for contractors to finish another job.

"It must be really annoying to a lot of people as it's normally a very busy road. It has been very disruptive to us.

"We have been in limbo really. I would like to see that building pulled down personally. It's more of a concern because that building is such an eyesore."


'No passing trade'

Diane said: "It has really been affecting us. We often get a lot of passing trade – and this week we have had none."

Another local business owner, who wished to remain anonymous, said: "It has been a bit of a pain really.

"I really do appreciate there's safety concerns and keeping the public safe. When it was horrendous weather on the Saturday night I get but we are nearly a week into it now.


Panels that came off the roof

"It is getting ridiculous now. Our whole business has been put on a standstill."

Parvez Ali, who owns Royal Adeel, added: "It has been nearly a week now and nothing had been done. It's been ridiculous. We have had customers complaining about it. They have been cancelling and we have plenty of bookings cancelled.

"We just want it back to normal and business as usual for everyone here."

Dayna Farrington

By Dayna Farrington
Senior reporter based at Wolverhampton

Reporter for the Express & Star based at Wolverhampton.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News