Pavement licence applications open for Dudley businesses

By Dayna Farrington | Dudley | News | Published:

Pubs, bars and restaurants in Dudley can now apply for a temporary licence to place tables and chairs on the highway to extend their outdoor space.

Dudley Council

Temporary pavement licences are being introduced across the country to help businesses with social distancing.

It will allow pubs, restaurants and bars to safely extend their outdoor space if they can continue to adhere to social distancing guidelines.

But the licence will cost £100 for businesses in the Dudley borough.

The fee is the same as is being charged by many councils across the country but some authorities, such as Wolverhampton Council, have reduced it to help ease the burden for businesses.

Businesses which are granted a licence will be able to place counters, tables, seating and other items associated with the consumption of food and drink on the pavement during their operating hours – but not after 11pm.

Councillor Karen Shakespeare, Dudley Council's cabinet member responsible for licensing, said: "Our hospitality sector has been hit hard during this pandemic with many, even though they are now open, still struggling to operate due to the limited number of people allowed on the premises.

"This new temporary licence will allow some businesses to extend their outdoor space, hopefully allowing them to accommodate more customers and boost their trade while crucially continuing to follow the latest social distancing guidelines.

"This is another way we are supporting businesses within this sector as they begin their road to recovery."

For more information on the pavement scheme and how to apply, visit

Dayna Farrington

By Dayna Farrington
Senior reporter based at Wolverhampton

Reporter for the Express & Star based at Wolverhampton.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star


UK & International News