Flames burst up from underground blaze forcing Birmingham city centre roads to be closed - WATCH
Part of Birmingham city centre had to be cordoned off due to a fire in an underground electricity box.
West Midlands Fire service received a number of calls about the blaze as flames burst up from a manhole cover.
The fire was sparked in an underground box along Bennetts Hill at the junction of Waterloo Street in the city centre.
Footage from Riyah Collins
Footage from Isobel Bruce and Hayley Varney
Crews were alerted at 4.14pm on Saturday and initially just sent one fire engine to the scene.
Later, a further appliance was requested, both from Ladywood.
A total of eight fire fighters attended the scene and an electrical engineer arrived to help at around 5.20pm.
The area was cordoned off while work to isolate the electricity and put out the fire was carried out.
Work was still continuing at around 5.30pm.
A spokesman for West Midlands Fire service said: "We received several calls at 4.14pm regarding a fire in the city centre.
"One appliance was sent originally then a further one was requested, both from Ladywood.
"The fire is in an underground electricity box. An electrical engineer has been requested to attend to isolate the electricity. It is ongoing at the moment."
The scene was cleared and the roads reopened after 6.30pm.
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.