'A true gentleman': Retired Black Country detective dies after catching coronavirus

By Jordan Reynolds | Wolverhampton | Coronavirus | Published:

A retired West Midlands Police detective constable described as a "true gentleman" has died after catching coronavirus.

Sid Timmins died at New Cross Hospital aged 77

Great-grandfather Sid Timmins, from Willenhall, died at Wolverhampton's New Cross Hospital on March 28.

The 77-year-old worked as a police officer for 30 years based in several areas including Dudley, West Bromwich and Smethwick, and was a detective constable in CID before retiring 25 years ago.

In recent months Mr Timmins had been suffering with severe emphysema and was on oxygen, his daughter Sarah Halford said.

She added: "Over the last week and a bit before he went into hospital he became quite breathless.

"I work in a school so I had been isolating too.

Sid Timmins with his wife Sadie

"On the 26th in the morning I couldn't manage his breathing so I rang an ambulance and he was taken to New Cross.

"He went to hospital on his own, he rang me when he was in A&E to say he'd had a number of tests including for Covid-19.


"On the 28th the hospital rang me to say do you want to come up straight away but unfortunately he'd passed away.

"The hospital were really good, they let us stay with him as long as we wanted, and they've since said he did test positive.

"His cause of death was pneumonia and Covid-19.

"I never thought for a minute he would test positive for that, he just used to have flare-ups so I thought it was that.


"It's just upsetting as you can't move forward, there's so many restrictions in funeral arrangements.

"We'll have a short service at the crematorium and then have a celebration of his life for everyone at a later date."

Sid Timmins with his wife Sadie

Born and raised in Kates Hill, Dudley, Mr Timmins married his wife Sadie and had one daughter, Sarah.

In recent years Mr and Mrs Timmins moved in together with Sarah and her family in Willenhall. Sadie passed away in 2018.

After retiring Mr Timmins worked for security business Cougar Monitoring, based in Cradley Heath.

Sarah added: "The family are overwhelmed by the lovely messages that have been received this week from family and friends at this sad time. Most messages from people have described my dad as a true gentleman.

"He unfortunately lost his wife 18 months ago and has suffered from severe emphysema in recent months.

"He also had a battle with cancer and a stroke seven years ago but battled through with the support of his wife and family. My dad was the most selfless person anyone could meet and never had a bad word to say about anyone.

"He was a complete family man and looked at my daughters like they were his own, we were all very close.

"He enjoyed following his son-in-law and granddaughter around the local pubs and clubs and supporting their singing careers.

"He will be greatly missed."

Jordan Reynolds

By Jordan Reynolds
Reporter - @jreynolds_star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News