New Cross Hospital in £6m payout to brain damaged boy
An 11-year-old boy who was left brain damaged at New Cross Hospital has been awarded £6 million in compensation, it was revealed this afternoon.
Joseph O'Reggio suffered permanent brain injuries after midwives failed to recognise he was being starved of oxygen during his birth.
The youngster was left with cerebral palsy, severe learning difficulties and cannot speak or feed himself. He needs round-the-clock care.
His parents Rachel and Julian O'Reggio, who are both credit controllers from Wednesfield, described the payout today from The Royal Wolverhampton Hospitals NHS Trust, which runs the hospital, as a "massive relief".
The couple won the right to claim a seven-figure compensation package at the High Court in June 2011. This paved the way for the multi-million pound care package approved today at the Royal Courts of Justice in London. Joseph's father Mr O'Reggio, aged 39, said: "We can rest easy that Joe will be provided for, for the rest of his life. We can have carers to help with his daily routines, extra physio, extra occupational therapy, extra speech therapy, all the additional input he's going to get."
Mrs O'Reggio, aged 40, went into labour on the morning of April 13, 2001 after a healthy pregnancy. But the following day, from late morning, Joseph's heart rate dropped.
It was monitored but it wasn't until just before 10pm that specialist help was called for.
Joe was delivered just after 10.45pm, but his heart rate was weak and the brain damage had already occurred. Mrs O'Reggio, who also has two daughters and a younger son, said: "It is a mixture of huge relief and happiness that he will now always have access to the treatment he deserves."
Darlaston Road: WATCH Hero van driver stops out of control bus after driver collapses at the wheel in Wednesbury
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.