Family escape Great Barr house fire

News | Published:

A family, including three children, were saved by their smoke alarm after they had to escape a kitchen fire at their home.

Fire crews were called to the semi-detatched house in Shenstone Road in Great Barr at 12.30am on Saturday.

It came following a 999 call from the occupant that their cooker was on fire.

However, the blaze spread to surrounding units destroying the whole kitchen.

A couple and their three children were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and had to stay at relatives.

West Midlands Fire Service said the family were alerted to the fire by the sound of their smoke alarm.

Watch Commander Phil Richards from West Bromwich Fire Station said: "This fire was more intense than the caller had first thought because it was burning behind the cooker. Had there not been any smoke alarms fitted then this family could have been killed.

"Without a doubt the alarms saved their lives and they are very lucky. It spread to the kitchen units and the kitchen was destroyed."

Electricity and gas to the property was isolated and the incident was declared over at 3am.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star


UK & International News