A royal visit for the Royal School as Prince Edward arrives in Wolverhampton
Pupils of The Royal School welcomed a royal visitor as The Earl of Wessex officially opened it as a Free School.
Prince Edward visited the Wolverhampton school in his role as patron. He unveiled a plaque and also spent time speaking to the school’s combined cadet forces as well as pupils and staff.
On arrival, he was greeted by primary students and dignitaries, including Dr Keith Bradshaw, Deputy Lieutenant representing Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of the West Midlands; the High Sheriff of the West Midlands, John Hudson OBE DL; and the Mayor of Wolverhampton, Councillor Elias Mattu, before meeting secondary students.
He then headed to the CCF field to meet The Royal School’s air force and army cadets and to launch the partnership between The Royal School and Colton Hills Community School.
The CCF is an important element in providing personal development opportunities beyond the traditional curriculum.
On his previous visit to the school in September, 2012, The Earl of Wessex celebrated the 80th anniversary of the primary school.
On this occasion, HRH spent a great deal of time speaking to students and witnessing the developments from a fee paying to a free school.
As The Earl unveiled the plaque, he joked how funny it was to ‘open’ a school that had been here for so long with him as the patron!
The Royal School was founded in 1850 originally as an orphanage, and is now a free, co-educational, independent day and boarding school serving more than 1,000 students across the primary and senior schools.