Teenage Black Country thug jailed after stamping on man's head for no reason

By Jamie Brassington | Oldbury | Crime | Published: | Last Updated:

A thug who stamped on a man's head in an unprovoked late-night attack has been jailed for more than seven years.

Robin Foster

Robin Foster, 19, repeatedly punched and kicked his 34-year-old victim in Oldbury on August 27 last year.

The assault began on Park Street when Foster shouted "yo mate" and asked for a cigarette from the man who was walking home from a night out after missing his bus.

Then, without warning, Foster floored the stranger with a punch to the side of the head.

WATCH: CCTV shows brutal attack

CCTV captures vicious assault that leaves a man with nasty facial injuries.

The victim got up and was chased by Foster, who was 18 at the time, for almost a mile to the Shell garage in Churchbridge.

There he pleaded with a cashier to call police before Foster continued the savage attack, causing his victim to lose two teeth and suffer nasty cuts to his forehead.

Foster then fled while paramedics treated the man at the scene.


Police launched a CCTV appeal which prompted a member of the public to get in touch, naming Foster as the suspect.

He was arrested at his home on Roway Lane, Oldbury, on October 4, and charged with wounding.

The petrol station. Photo: Google

Clothing matching that worn by Foster - including a distinctive Nike top, Calvin Klein body-warmer and a chain shown on CCTV hanging from his jeans pocket - was found at the address.


Foster admitted the offence and was jailed for seven years and four months at Wolverhampton Crown Court on July 22.

Investigating officer PC Andy Mimnagh said: "This was a brutal, shocking attack and from what we understand totally unprovoked.

"The victim had missed his bus so started walking home when Foster called out to him, seconds later he was under attack.

"The victim can be seen on the video curling up in a foetal position as he tried to defend himself.

"One customer at the petrol station thought they were play fighting before seeing blood pouring from the man’s nose and mouth.

"I wish the victim well for the future and hopefully, when Foster is eventually released, he will take advantage of help offered to him and create a brighter future."

Chief inspector Gill Davenport, from the Dudley and Sandwell Crimes Team, added: "Foster had no previous offences recorded against him; that should act as a clear warning to anyone who thinks random acts of violence are not taken seriously by the police or and courts.

"This sentence demonstrates our joint commitment to reducing public place violence.

"Tackling violent crime is a priority for us, everyone in Sandwell and Dudley deserves safe streets.

"We’ve increased patrols and are working with the Violence Reduction Unit to tackle the issue."

Jamie Brassington

By Jamie Brassington
Senior Multi-Media Journalist - @JamieB_Star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star. Contact me at

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News