Suspended West Midlands Police officer now being investigated over third incident

By Megan Archer | Birmingham | Crime | Published: | Last Updated:

A West Midlands Police officer who is currently suspended following two allegations of excessive use of force is now being investigated over a third incident.

The officer has been suspended

A statement from the force said: "We have been made aware of a mobile phone video showing a member of the public being Tasered by the officer in Handsworth."

In that incident, the statement said officers were dealing with the aftermath of a pursuit on February 27 when they spoke to the man.

He was Tasered before being arrested and released with a conditional caution.

The officer was suspended earlier this month after two allegations came to light.

A complaint was received after the officer stopped a teenager on April 21 in Melbourne Avenue, Newtown.

It is alleged that the officer used unnecessary force in striking and kicking the young person.

A further complaint came in about an incident on April 20 in Frederick Road, Aston, where two officers stopped a man they suspected was on a stolen bicycle.

The man was detained and it’s alleged the officer assaulted the man before he was released with no further action.


West Midlands Police said: "The officer remains suspended and all matters are now being investigated by the IOPC (Independent Office for Police Conduct)."

An IOPC spokesperson said: "We have begun an independent investigation into an incident where a man was Tasered by a police officer in Handsworth on February 27.

"We are examining the police's interaction with the man and whether the use of force, including Taser, was proportionate. Our investigation follows a referral from West Midlands Police.

"The same police officer involved in this incident is presently subject to other IOPC investigations over allegations of excessive force."


Another police officer has also been suspended from duty following an incident in Digbeth on Thursday, May 14.

Officers responded to reports of theft at a shop in Allison Street, Digbeth, just before 1.30pm where a man, in his 30s, was arrested.

During his arrest the man suffered a fractured ankle and was taken to hospital.

The matter has been referred to the Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) for investigation and that officer has been suspended.

Megan Archer

By Megan Archer
Chief Reporter - @MeganA_Star

Chief Reporter with the Express & Star. Give me a call on 01902 319363 or email

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News