Advertising

Second Wolverhampton barber shop 'caught breaking lockdown rules'

By Jordan Reynolds | Wolverhampton | Crime | Published:

A second barber shop in Wolverhampton has been forced to close after being found to be breaking the Government’s coronavirus social distancing rules.

Stock photo

Wolverhampton Council said The Godbarber, on Great Brickkiln Street, was found to be operating and allowing customers to wait together on the premises for haircuts.

The council's environmental health and trading standards team visited the owner along with police on Wednesday and served a notice to ensure the shop does not operate until the lockdown regulations are changed.

AJ Kaul, who owns the shop, told the Express & Star it was not open to the public and only he had had his hair cut there.

"I attended my shop to do a deep clean with one of my assistants and at the same time I had my hair cut from another barber," Mr Kaul said.

"The shutters were down, I was not open to the public.

"There was no one waiting for a hair cut, it has been exaggerated.

"I totally disagree with the decision the council made, they have no evidence.

"The council are allowing different rules for different people, they're opening the markets soon. You can't have one rule for one and one for another."

Advertising

The Government has ordered non-essential businesses and public spaces to be closed and banned all public gatherings of more than two people, except where they are from the same household or where the gathering is essential for work purposes.

Eyez Barberz, based on Staveley Road, Whitmore Reans, was found to be operating and carrying out mobile hairdressing services in the area at the end of last month.

Councillor Steve Evans, cabinet member for city environment, said: “I would like to remind business owners that this is very serious and that the council takes a zero-tolerance approach to businesses that are still operating and not adhering to the rules during the pandemic.

“The Governments rules and regulations are clear, and those offering the services of both barbering and hairdressing should remain closed until further notice.

“I would like to thank the residents of Wolverhampton who are helping us through this time and reporting any concerns they have to the environmental health and trading standards team.”

Jordan Reynolds

By Jordan Reynolds
Reporter - @jreynolds_star

Senior reporter at the Express & Star.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News