How cops tracked robbery gang who stashed £65k stolen watch

By Dayna Farrington | Birmingham | Crime | Published:

Three men have been jailed over a violent robbery which saw a £65,000 watch stolen in Birmingham city centre.

Police stopped the people carrier at a set of traffic lights at Ladywood Middleway, before officers found the stolen watch stashed under a seat

The victim had left a nightclub just before 4am on April 21 when a man approached him and asked how he was.

When the victim ignored the man, but he kept demanding to talk to him.

As he tried to move away, the victim was grabbed and pushed against a shop shutter – and heard the man shout to accomplices waiting nearby that he had an expensive watch.

WATCH: Police recover £65,000 watch after violent robbery

Police recover £65,000 watch after robbery

The gang surrounded the victim and he was repeatedly punched in the head, while his arms were held down and the watch taken from him.

The gang then drove away from the scene in a black Mercedes people carrier, but patrolling police officers spotted it on Broad Street, at the junction with Sheepcote Street – and they later stopped the vehicle on Ladywood Middleway.


Just over 30 minutes later, as the men were being detained, one officer noticed two of the passengers putting their hands down the seat of the car as they tried to hide something.

Jovan Mulcare

The watch – an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak – was quickly recovered and returned to the victim, who had inherited it following the death of a relative.

The three men went on to admit the robbery and were jailed at Birmingham Crown Court.


Andre Hewitt

Jovan Mulcare, 28, of Bentham Court, in London, was given four years and six months, while Andre Hewitt, also 28, of Bay House, Grays, Essex, was jailed for three years and nine months.

Alimi Aviz, 23, of Regents Court, Hackney, in London, was jailed for three years.

Alimi Aviz

DC Stephen Foy, from West Midlands Police's Force CID, said: “This was great work by officers who were able to quickly identify the robbers.

"Just over 30 minutes after the original 999 call, we had the offenders in custody and the watch recovered.”

Dayna Farrington

By Dayna Farrington
Senior reporter based at Wolverhampton

Reporter for the Express & Star based at Wolverhampton.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News