Sylvia Griffiths, 83, died after a fire at her home on Windmill Lane in Croxton, near Stafford, on Sunday.
The fire is believed to have started in a kettle, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service said, and there were no working smoke alarms in the bungalow.
The woman is believed to have tried to get out of the bungalow herself before becoming overcome by the smoke.
Interactive map of the area:
A man managed to get into the house and pull her outside but she was pronounced dead at the scene.
An investigation concluded that the blaze had started in the kitchen.
Since the initial report, further information has come to light which has led to a police investigation.
A 49-year-old man from Stafford has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and released under investigation while inquiries continue.