Advertising

Jail for Wolverhampton man, 21, who repeatedly attacked ex

By John Scott | Wolverhampton | Crime | Published:

An "emotionally charged" 21-year-old, who repeatedly attacked his former partner when he saw her in the street after they parted, has been jailed for two years.

Brandon Sawyers was locked up for two years

Brandon Sawyers had been in a relationship with his ex for around a year during which they had a child, a judge heard.

He flagrantly ignored a non-molestation order banning him from contact with her following the split in December last year and beat her up just two months later after when he saw her in Low Hill on February 5, Wolverhampton Crown Court was told.

He accused her of cheating on him, punched her in the face and may have head-butted her, said Mr Ian Ball, prosecuting.

Police called to the scene in the early hours found her in tears and shaking violently.

The defendant left her alone when he next saw her on June 24 but 24 hours later floored her with a karate kick to the head, continued the prosecutor.

Less than a month later the victim was spotted leaving a shop by Sawyers who knocked her to the ground and kicked her in the head.

She said in a victim impact statement read in court: "Before I met Brandon in 2017 I enjoyed my life but after a few months he started being controlling.

"He abused me physically and mentally. How far will the courts let this go before they protect me and allow me to live without fear?"

Advertising

She has since moved house.

Mr Makkan Shoker, defending Sawyers, maintained: "He was on a path of emotional destruction for eight or nine months. He acted in jealousy and anger.

"He was emotionally charged when he did these stupid things.

"He has been held in custody since his arrest on August 21 and has had time to reflect, giving him an insight into how his behaviour affects others."

Advertising

Sawyers, from Old Fallings Crescent in Low Hill, Wolverhampton, pleaded guilty to the final assault and the last breach of the non molestation order.

Magistrates found him guilty of the two earlier assaults and breach in his absence after he failed to answer his bail.

He was jailed by Recorder Nicholas Bacon QC who said: "You flagrantly breached a court order with a series of unhappy episodes. These were cowardly and vicious acts."

The defendant was also given a fresh non-molestation order outlawing any contact with his victim for three years.

John Scott

By John Scott
Reporter/News Feature Writer

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News