Family of murdered Kevin Shepperson pay emotional tribute after killers found guilty

By Dayna Farrington | Willenhall | Crime | Published:

The family of murdered 39-year-old Kevin Shepperson said "no sentence given would ever be long enough" for his three killers.

Kevin Shepperson

His devastated relatives added that their lives were "torn apart" in August 2018 when they were told their son had died – after he was beaten to death with a dumbbell in his Willenhall flat.

Yesterday, 22-year-old cousins Wayne and Nazeem Kendall were found guilty of Mr Shepperson's murder and robbery after a three-week trial at Wolverhampton Crown Court.

Cameron MacKenzie had pleaded guilty to the murder last year.

His killers Wayne Kendall, Cameron MacKenzie and Nazeem Kendall

In an emotional tribute Mr Shepperson's family thanked West Midlands Police for their work in bringing his killers to justice – while adding that they miss Kevin terribly.

They said: "On August 22, 2018 our lives were torn apart when we were informed that our son Kevin had died.

“To find out this information was bad enough but to have someone deliberately and viciously beat and stamp on him until his injuries caused his death is unbearable.

“Kevin has had his struggle over the years with addiction but the only person he hurt was himself. At the time of Kevin’s death he had turned his life around.


'No parent should ever have to bury their child'

“We are pleased that the people responsible for Kevin’s death who’s only aim was to profit from stealing his property for their own enjoyment have been found guilty of his killing.

“The past ten months have been a nightmare and have been an emotional and painful time. No parent should ever have to bury their child.

“We would very much like to thank the police, specifically the homicide department who completed a thorough investigation into what happened to our son and we cannot thank them enough. They stood up for Kevin when he was unable to have a voice.


“The amount of work and hours spent on the investigation has been extensive and we really appreciate everyone’s efforts. We have been supported throughout our ordeal by our family liaison officers who have been our rock.

“We would like to thank Mr Kent and Ms Wolf our legal team for presenting the evidence provided by the police and successfully getting the right outcome for Kevin.

“No sentence given will ever be enough for our son’s life but it is a comfort that the people responsible are now behind bars and unable to hurt other innocent people.

“We miss Kevin terribly and I can’t imagine that this will ever go away."

'Brutal attack at own home'

Detective Sergeant Tim Longbottom, from force CID, added: “This was a brutal attack on a man in his own home.

“Mr Shepperson was very security conscious and yet they managed to climb up via the window to pursue their attack.

“The cowardly group not only killed him, they stole his belongings and continued to spend the dead man’s money.

“Fortunately CCTV enabled us to track them down and we are very pleased to see them all behind bars."

Police at the scene after Kevin Shepperson's body was found at his flat in Bloxwich Road South

The trio viciously attacked Mr Shepperson at his home in Bloxwich Road South on August 21, 2018. Mr Shepperson was discovered the following day with his hands and feet tied and a belt strap around his neck – his television and PlayStation had also been taken.

West Midlands Police discovered Mr Shepperson's bank card had been used to pay for a hotel stay hours after he was killed and that 21-year-old MacKenzie had used his own details on the reservation form.

Enquiries turned to Wayne Kendall – who lived in the flat below Mr Shepperson – after CCTV revealed a figure climbing up from a neighbouring flat and clambering through a window. He proceeded to let Nazeem and MacKenzie in through the front door – before the trio attacked Mr Shepperson.

A post-mortem examination revealed he was repeatedly stamped on, suffered rib fractures and brain injuries.

MacKenzie and Wayne Kendall were arrested just two days after Mr Shepperson's body was discovered, while Nazeem Kendall was arrested two weeks later.

Detectives found the victim's blood on a dumbbell in Wayne Kendall's flat – along with the stolen electrical items – and DNA recovered from skin scrapings found under the victim's fingernails failed to rule out Nazeem as a potential suspect.

The trio will be sentenced at Wolverhampton Crown Court at a later date.

Dayna Farrington

By Dayna Farrington
Senior reporter based at Wolverhampton

Reporter for the Express & Star based at Wolverhampton.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News