Jail for pair who travelled across the Midlands to deal drugs

By Jonny Drury | Wolverhampton | Crime | Published:

Two men who came into Wellington to deal drugs and struck an unmarked police car while trying to make a getaway have been jailed.

Gurpreet Singh and Mohammed Tayyab

Gurpreet Singh and Mohammed Tayyab travelled to Wellington from Wolverhampton and Birmingham to peddle crack cocaine and heroin to drug users in the area.

However, police were informed of the activity and after a foot chase the pair were arrested.

The pair admitted two charges of possession of class A drugs with intent to supply, with Singh, 34, of All Saints Road, Wolverhampton, admitting a dangerous driving charge for striking the police car.

Sentencing the pair at Shrewsbury Justice Centre, Recorder Stephen Thomas said: "Dealing in class A drugs is always serious and only an immediate prison sentence is appropriate."

Rachel Pennington, prosecuting, told the court that on July 25 last year at 11.20am, officers were alerted to drug dealing activity, in Arleston, Wellington.

They attended the area in an unmarked police car, and saw a silver Saab vehicle, and at one point a known drug user was seen the approach the car.

Police activated their lights and the Saab stopped in a car park in Kingsland.

An officer went out of the car to approach the Saab and as he did the engine began to rev.



He got back in his car and jumped across to the driver side, when the Saab struck the door and bent it backwards at the point the officer was previously standing.

Officers drove after the car, when it drove into a dead end and the occupants, Singh and Tayyab, 24, of Memory Road, Birmingham, fled on foot.

Drugs and mobile phones were thrown by the pair, and police eventually stopped them.


In total, £1,000 worth of crack cocaine was recovered, along £1,700 worth of heroin. £600 in cash was found on Tayyab.

Analysis of mobile phones was found to contain messages requesting drug deals.

Singh pleaded guilty to the charges on a basis, saying he was addicted to drugs and had only agreed to drive around that day in a bid to get drugs.

Phillip Beardwell, for Singh, said his client was in breach of a suspended sentence, and had no money and was addicted to drugs.

He added he had come to the UK with his family on a visa, but it had long expired and his family had returned to India without him.

Mr Beardwell said his client would be deported at the end of his sentence.

Kevin Jones, for Tayyab, said his client was trying to make a "quick buck."

He urged the judge to suspended the sentence or keep custody to a minimum, as his client had qualifications and a future ahead of him.

Recorder Thomas added: "I am satisfied you were both dealing for a commercial gain."

He gained the pair for three years and four months each, and Singh for six months for the dangerous driving which will run concurrently.

He was also banned from driving for 44 months.

Jonny Drury

By Jonny Drury

Senior reporter covering Oswestry and Mid Wales.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News