BMW ended up in ditch as drivers in high speed chase on A442, court told
Two drivers were involved in a high speed chase on a main road until one ended up in a ditch, a jury has been told.
So worried were three drivers overtaken by the two cars, on the Bridgnorth to Sutton Maddock road, that they contacted police.
Joseph Barker, 20, of Rhea Hall Estate, Highley, and Teshko Mahmoud, 23, of Marlbrook Drive, Wolverhampton, each deny charges of driving dangerously on the A442 on July 18, 2016.
At Shrewsbury Crown Court yesterday, Mr Robert Edwards, prosecuting, said that at about 10pm on the evening of July 18 Barker was driving an Astra and Mahmoud a BMW.
He said a van driver was overtaken by both cars in Bridgnorth on a blind bend.
“He noticed horns sounding and lights flashing, behind him” Mr Edwards said.
Close to the Severn Valley Park the two cars were again behind the driver and again, on a tight bend, both overtook him, the Astra followed by the BMW.
“They were driving in excess of 80 miles an hour with no more than a metre between the two of them,” he said.
Shortly after the van driver noticed glass on the road and then saw the BMW in the ditch.
He got out and remonstrated with its driver.
Two other drivers were also so worried about the driving they contacted the police.
Mr Edwards said that when questioned by police, Barker said that he had driven as he had out of fear.
He said that the BMW had been “trying to take him out” nudging his car eight or nine times, terrifying him.
At one point he contacted police while driving.
“He was told by the police operator to keep driving,” Mr Edwards said, who added: “That does not excuse the manner of his driving, it was not a licence to drive dangerously.”
When Mahmoud was questioned he told police he saw men from the Astra damaging his brother’s car.
When they got back into the Astra he began to follow them.
When they got near to Sutton Maddock petrol station the Astra braked causing him to drive into it, Mahmoud told police.
The case continues.
Caterers must pay £250,000 after hog roast gave more than 50 Staffordshire wedding guests food poisoning
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.