Arsonists using fireworks spark grassland blazes on Cannock Chase - WATCH
Youths armed with fireworks are believed to have started a series of fires across Cannock Chase.
Three crews spent more than two hours working to quell the flames and stop the fires spreading across the beauty spot.
They had been called to land, off Marquis Drive, where four small fires had broken out.
WATCH: The fire takes hold at Cannock Chase
Footage: Mike Williams
Firefighters from Cannock Fire, Rugeley Fire and Chase Terrence Fire arrived shortly before 7.45pm on Wednesday.
They worked to tackle the blazes until shortly before 10pm.
A Staffordshire Fire Service spokesman said confirmed the blazes were deliberately started.
Staffordshire Police confirmed they were called to the scene shortly after fire crews arrived.
A Staffordshire Police spokesman said: "It was reported as a group of teenagers setting off fireworks. That must have lead to a series of small fires."
Police believe those responsible fled the scene.
Cannock Chase Council deputy leader Gordon Alcott condemned the actions of those responsible as 'absolutely disgraceful'.
Mr Alcott said: "Whoever sets a fire off doesn't realise the damage that it can do and the serious damage that it may do to life if it gets out of hand.
"It is absolutely disgraceful. They are creating a situation by setting off fireworks which they know will eventually set fire to the grassland.
"It is a shame really because it is a place that is provided by the council for the public use and for it to be used and destroyed in this way is absolutely disgraceful."
An eyewitness said: "I saw about six to eight teenagers, one female, messing around with fireworks, stood on trail and in the way, swearing and setting the fireworks off towards the electricity pole. It ended up setting fire to the chase."