Hero PCSO hailed by woman who 'died' for eight minutes after collapsing in Sedgley street

By Ian Harvey | Sedgley | Crime | Published:

A woman who was clinically dead for up to eight minutes after suffering a cardiac arrest in a Sedgley street has said she’s "eternally grateful" to the police officer who performed CPR − and brought her back to life.

PCSO Garry Marson is thanked by cardiac arrest survivor Laura Green, her family and West Bromwich Albion's First Team Coach Darren Moore. Photo West Midlands Police.

Laura Green and her sister, Gemma, said thanks to West Bromwich Albion fan Garry − who has worked with West Midlands Police for 10 years − by presenting him with a Baggies shirt and football at The Hawthorns signed by the first team players.

Laura, 33, was on an errand to the shops in Bilston Street, on February 26 when she collapsed on the pavement.

Fortunately PCSO Garry Marson was conducting neighbourhood patrols nearby and rushed to help after being alerted by a passing motorist.

He found Laura unconscious, not breathing and without a pulse.

Realising an ambulance could be several minutes away − and with every passing moment vital for Laura’s recovery prospects − 61-year-old Garry began performing CPR.

He managed to revive the mum-of-two before paramedics arrived to take over and take her to hospital.

Albion first team coach Darren Moore meets Laura Green and family. Photo West Midlands Police.

Laura spent time in critical care in hospital but, having had a defibrillator implant fitted, is now recovering well at home.


She said: “I collapsed on the pavement outside the shop. I can’t recall anything from that morning, or the previous weekend, but my dad has told how a lady placed a blanket over me before Garry came running over.

“He saved my life; he is first aid trained and knew exactly what to do. Thanks to him I’m able to see my two daughters again and for that I’ll be eternally grateful.

“Garry came to see me in the hospital. I told him I’d most likely be dead if it wasn’t for him and thanked him for coming to help me. He’s a very modest man but we all think he’s a hero!"

Laura’s sister Gemma uploaded a photo of Garry to her Facebook page the day after the incident, describing him as “incredible" and saying she wanted to share the story in order for him to “get the recognition and gratitude he deserves".


Recalling his life-saving efforts, Garry said: “There were two or three people around Laura on the floor and one asked ‘do you know CPR?’. It’s something all officers are taught during their induction and we get annual first aid refreshers, though I’d never been called to put it into practice before.

“I was working on Laura for no more than a couple of minutes before paramedics arrived and ‘shocked’ her. One of them told me that they’d got her back; it’s all I wanted to hear. After, we went to the school Laura’s daughters attend to alert the head teacher.

“The emotion of it all caught up with me later. At the time you’re focussed on what’s happening and the adrenaline takes over − but later the magnitude of what’s happened, that you’ve helped keep someone alive, sinks in.

“I’m so pleased Laura is well on the mend and that I was able to play a part. But as any police officer will tell you, I was just doing my job."

Ian Harvey

By Ian Harvey

Shropshire Star Internet Editor based at the head office in Ketley, Telford


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News