Man who attacked passenger while trying to board No 47 bus first is locked up

By John Scott | Wednesbury | Crime | Published:

A ‘respectful’ 20-year-old, who attacked a man three times his age while trying to get on a bus first, was starting two years three months behind bars today.

Samron Dhillion is now in a Young Offenders Institution

Samron Dhillion clashed with 64-year-old David Baker after they bumped into each other while preparing to board the No 47 service at Wednesbury bus station, Wolverhampton Crown Court heard.

His claim that the older man racially abused him was rejected by the judge.

Mr Andrew Jackson, prosecuting, explained: “There was an accidental brush of the shoulders.

"The defendant suggested the other man barged into him and stared at him. This was denied by the complainant.”

Furious Dhillion rained punches down on Mr Baker, who was holding a bag in one hand and a bus pass in the other, and kneed him in the face when he bent down to pick up his glasses, which were knocked from his face by the flurry of blows, continued the prosecutor.

The project team co-ordinator was dragged away by a friend but gave himself up after police launched an appeal for information following the attack at around 4.30pm on February 29, 2016.

The victim’s cheek was fractured during the beating and he underwent surgery during which a titanium plate and screws were inserted into his face, the court was told.

The defendant told police after seeing CCTV footage of the incident: “I feel sick. I am a friendly person. I am not like that. I am not bad.”


Over a dozen testimonials from family, friends and employers, confirmed this.

Mr Simon Williams, defending, said: “He accepts full responsibility for his offending and regrets his actions. This was completely out of character.

“He is normally a kind, respectful, helpful young man who works hard and has no previous convictions. He misread the situation.

"He has a lot to offer the community but knows he has made a bad mistake.”


Dhillion, from Hydes Road, West Bromwich, was found guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent after a trial. He had denied the intent.

Judge Burbidge sentenced him to a two years three months detention in a Young Offenders Institution and said: “This is an extremely sad case where a young man of generally exemplary character is facing such a serious offence.

“I accept it was out of character but this was an explosion of wholly unnecessary violence in a public place where people have the right to expect to be safe. You wanted to get on the bus first.”

John Scott

By John Scott
Reporter/News Feature Writer


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News