Disgraced Dudley GP 'could have attacked more women'
It was a ‘horrific’ breach of trust that saw shamed GP Jaswant Rathore attack four female patients in his surgery.
Now police officers fear he may have assaulted even more women during his three decades at the Dudley practice.
The 60-year-old was yesterday starting a 12-year sentence after jurors convicted him of 10 sexual assaults.
Speaking to the Express & Star, senior investigating officer DI Michelle Thurgood said: “It was a horrific breach of a position of trust. This was somebody who was a trusted GP, respected in the community.
“Many of the patients had gone to him for many years, so absolutely trusted him.
“We go to our doctor when we’re at our most vulnerable and he has abused that trust by carrying out those offences.”
Rathore, of Ploughmans Walk, Wall Heath, denied 18 counts of sexual assault between November 28, 2008, and March 26, 2015.
Prosecutors alleged he attacked eight female patients, who cannot be named for legal reasons, after duping them into thinking he was treating their medical problems.
But he told police touching of the women was ‘medically appropriate’ and he had acted professionally during appointments with patients at Castle Meadows Surgery.
Following a seven-week trial at Wolverhampton Crown Court, jurors found him guilty of 10 sexual assaults, committed during more than two-and-a-half years.
The jury acquitted him of eight further sexual offences allegedly committed against four other women.
DI Thurgood, of West Midlands Police’s public protection unit, said she was concerned more victims could be suffering in silence but confirmed there were no plans to bring further prosecutions against Rathore.
The officer added: “He has been a GP for a long time, there could be other victims.
“What I would say is, if anybody who is reading the press or seeing the press and they think that they are a victim, then please come forward.
“If you can find the strength to come forward, do so. You’ll be given all the time and support you need to help you.”
Rathore’s offending came to light when one of his victims spoke to police about her ordeal for the first time in May 2015.
After gathering statements from victims, as well as securing medical and phone records, Rathore was charged in December in relation to three women.
DI Thurgood confirmed it was the first time Rathore had been prosecuted for sex offences, adding: “[May 2015] was the first report ever in relation to him.
“Very quickly after her report, we had two further reports. We investigated the case against the three women. When he was charged, we put out a press release. That led to numerous phone calls and a further five women coming forward.
“The women have all shown extreme bravery in coming forward. The majority of them were extremely traumatised by what had happened to them, they couldn’t quite believe what had happened to them.”
The sex offender, who was supported throughout his trial by his wife and daughters, refused to answer any questions during police interview and instead offered prepared statements.
DI Thurgood said there was ‘no interaction’ from Rathore, adding: “In all his interviews, it was just prepared statements, he didn’t comment.
“He was just very cold, he had obviously taken advice from his counsel, so didn’t say anything.”
During the trial, prosecutor Ms Heidi Kubik claimed Rathore assaulted the women to fuel his ‘illicit sexual desire’ while at the helm of the Milking Bank practice.
He told patients he needed to carry out the treatment to alleviate their pain but instead sexually assaulted them.
The prosecutor said patients trusted the family doctor, who had been at the surgery since 1986, when he advised them his medical examinations were necessary.
Senior Crown prosecutor Ian Pinkney, of West Midlands Crown Prosecution Service’s complex casework unit, said: “Dr Jaswant Rathore abused his position of trust to carry out a series of sexual assaults against a number of his female patients.
“He preyed on women who contacted him for medical assistance, but rather than offer them help, he assaulted them for his own sexual gratification.”
Wolverhampton drug gang acted like 'market traders' dealing heroin and crack in street - PICTURES AND VIDEO
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.