Woman armed with cricket bat forced naked grandfather to jump off roof

By John Scott | Burntwood | Crime | Published:

A mother of four who forced her naked grandfather to leap up to 15 feet to the ground, breaking his leg, has been spared jail.

Wolverhampton Crown Court, where the case was heard

Jade Brindley was armed with a cricket bat which was used to smash her way into the Burntwood home of Geoffrey Witton, a judge heard.

The 29-year-old held a grudge against him after an alleged incident involving her mother Sharon who subsequently stabbed him and is now serving a 14-year jail sentence, Wolverhampton Crown Court heard.

Brindley shouted to him from outside but he had not seen her for many years and failed to recognise the woman, said Mr Tariq Shakoor, prosecuting.

She had sent a text message to a friend saying she was going to confront her grandfather after 'losing everything,' continued the prosecutor.

Mr Witton was terrified and phoned a relative as the defendant broke glass in the back door to gain access when refused entry at 7am on July 29.

"He was naked and climbed out of the bathroom window onto a roof and, when he heard her coming up the stairs, jumped up to 15 feet onto concrete, feet first," explained Mr Shakoor, who added: "He was terrified and feared for his safety."

Mr Witton fractured his leg in two places and said in a statement he suffered flashbacks of the incident.

Brindley, from Eremon Close, Rugeley, admitted possession of an offensive weapon and taking revenge on the basis she had not intended to cause injury and could not have foreseen her grandfather would jump.


She accepted this would not have happened without her intervention.

The defendant had spent six months in custody on remand after her arrest and, said Miss Alison Downs representing her: "Her life had fallen apart.

"At first she was quick to blame other people but now appreciates that she brought it on herself with drug and alcohol abuse. The final straw came when her children were taken from her."

Brindley, who was freed on bail last month, now has supervised access to the children every fortnight and is drug free, the court heard.

She was given a 20-month jail term suspended for two years with an order to live where approved and directed by the probation service. She was also banned from having any contact with her grandfather for five years.

Judge John Wait told her: "You have suffered from mental health issues made a lot worse by some awful events involving your family. You have lost your mother and your grandfather. Now you have got to be strong for the sake of your own family."

John Scott

By John Scott
Reporter/News Feature Writer

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News