Punch filmed before fatal stabbing of Tom Kirwan, court hears

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

A 20-year-old man was filmed attacking a reveller who was stabbed to death minutes later, a judge heard.

Nathan Hanson is alleged to have thrown a punch at tragic Tom Kirwan as violence flared outside the Uberra Club, now the Canal Club, alongside the Ring Road in the centre of Wolverhampton.

Dc Andrew McDonald explained Hanson was among people 'of note' singled out in CCTV footage of the clash between two groups of people in the early hours of July 8, 2012.

The officer played a clip of the film to the jury and declared: "You can see him throwing a punch towards the face of Tom Kirwan. Other people are then fighting Tom."

Hanson later received a leg injury in a collision with a taxi after 'coming into contact' with Mr Kirwan's 21-year-old brother Brooklen when the disturbance spilled into a road, it was claimed.

Another 20-year-old 'of note' was Kieran Stubbs who disappeared from sight in a CCTV blind spot at the time a man was knocked unconscious and allegedly stamped on at exactly the same location, the jury heard.

The film was gathered from three cameras fixed to the outside of the Uberra Club and police officers spent over a hundred hours trawling through the footage for clues but a revolving camera that also covered the area missed the incident because it was facing in a different direction, the court was told.

The jury heard violence flared when a party of men - including Tom and Brooklen Kirwan - leaving the club clashed with another group - said to include Hanson, Stubbs and 20-year-old Shannon Samuels - who were waiting to get in.

Neither this trio nor Brooklen Kirwan had anything to do with the fatal stabbing of Tom Kirwan, said Mr David Bennett, prosecuting, but he alleged all four had either used, threatened to use or encouraged others to use unlawful violence during the earlier part of the incident.

Brooklen Kirwan from Darley Drive, Dunstall Hill accepted being involved in the early part of the fracas but told police he had only used lawful violence to protect himself. When initially questioned by police Stubbs of Brantley Avenue, Finchfield denied being present, Hanson from Enville Road, Warstones could not remember whether he was there or not and Shannon from Overton Walk, Merry Hill declined to comment, the jury was told. All deny affray and the trial continues on Tuesday(correct).

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star


UK & International News