Yob who threw brick at family of Wolves fans is jailed

Staffordshire | News | Published:

A football hooligan has been jailed for two-and-a-half years after throwing a brick at a family of Wolves fans.

Darryl Millward, 22, threw a house brick at a father and his three sons after the League One game between Port Vale and Wolves on August 31.

Millward picked up a brick and threw it towards 58-year-old Andrew Simcock.

It hit Mr Simcock senior on his hand but he and one of his sons managed to evade capture by hiding inside a taxi firm's offices.

Mr Simcock, who lives in North Staffordshire but supports Wolves, was left with a shattered knuckle.

He has since had a number of operations on the hand and has had to have time off work.

Millward, of Coseley Road, Smallthorne, Stoke-on-Trent, was jailed for two-and-a-half years and made subject of a six-year football banning order at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court.

Prosecutor Heather Chamberlin told the court the family began getting abuse from a group as they walked past Chambers Wine Bar, Burslem, after full-time.

Miss Chamberlin said: "About 10 started to follow as they went to their car park.


"As they got on the car park a plastic glass was thrown and hit one of the sons. He turned and punched out at one of the group. More people arrived and more missiles were thrown, bricks and stones. They came to a dead end on the car park. Two sons climbed over the gate and ran away. They hid in a bush until it was safe to escape.

"Mr Simcock and one son arrived at the gate as bricks were being thrown. Mr Simcock put his hand up to protect his head and was hit on the hand by a house brick.

"He and his son ran, pursued by the group. But as they got to MagnumTaxis they were ushered inside by staff where they were protected. They could see Mr Simcock had been quite badly injured."

The defendant was identified from the CCTV. He was arrested and interviewed on October 15.


Millward pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Kevin Mortlock, mitigating, said Millward had shown remorse.

Mr Mortlock said: "He is able to recognise how wrong he was to become involved in this incident and the impact his actions have had on the complainant."

Judge David Fletcher said: "We see children witnessing grown men behaving in an appalling fashion and you were one of them.

"We then see images of a group of men. One was a 58-year-old man trying to get back to his parked motor vehicle. He was being pursued by over 20 people on a disused piece of ground. It must have been completely terrifying.

"They were chased by a mob across that car park and Mr Simcock received a very serious injury indeed. He might never be able to grip again with that hand. It is an horrific incident.

"It does no good for the image of football in this country, or of this city, or of Port Vale Football Club."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News