Dozy mobile barber slept through sentencing

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

A dozy mobile barber was still in bed when he was due to be in court to be sentenced for an attempted robbery.

Nathan Fisher was still asleep as his co-accused, Darren Esson, arrived at Wolverhampton Crown Court to learn his fate.

Recorder Mr Gareth Evans QC ordered police officers to locate 30-year-old Fisher and bring him to court while he jailed Esson for three-and-a-half years.

He then waited for half an hour for police to bring Fisher to court and he, too, was sentenced to three-and -a-half years in jail.

Fisher had been found guilty of attempted robbery at an earlier hearing after a trial while Esson had admitted the offence.

Wolverhampton Crown Court heard how on July 13 last year Fisher had been out drinking after a family problem. David Swinnerton, prosecuting, said: "At about 5.30 in the morning the victim was approached by two men in Broad Street in Wolverhampton.

"They asked him for a cigarette, then Mr Fisher started to ask what he had in his pockets.

"Both defendants punched and kicked him close to a bus stop.

A taxi driver was passing by and the victim got in and they followed the two men so they could locate them for the police."


Mr Christopher O'Gorman, defending Esson, 26, of Adelaide Walk, All Saints, Wolverhampton, said: "Mr client pleaded guilty on the day of the trial and due to his co-defendant going ahead with the trial he has waited 78 days to be sentenced. I hope this is taken into consideration."

Mr Harbinder Lally, defending Fisher of Walsall Street, Horseley Fields, Wolverhampton, explained his client's absence at the start of the proceedings. He said: "Mr Fisher was up all night sorting out his business affairs as he runs a mobile hairdresser business.

"He was awake until 4am and had woken up a few minutes before the police arrived."

Mr Lally said on the night before the offence took place Fisher was told to go out and have a drink after a family problem had arisen.


"He did just that but he consumed so much alcohol he became violent and this was totally out of character. He's an intelligent man who mentors once a week. I dare say this involves telling people how to keep out of criminal activities."

Fisher was found guilty after a trial of attempted robbery and theft.

Esson pleaded guilty to the same charges but had committed the attack while on licence for drug offences, the court heard.

Mr Evans QC jailed the men for three-and-a-half years. As Fisher was taken down to the cells he asked the judge: "What is going to happen to all of my property?"

The judge replied: "I can't say."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News