Halesowen attack teenager is locked up
A teenager who left a 16-year-old boy with brain damage after a 'reckless' attack has been locked up.
Kevaughn Redden, also 16, hit Conor Southall in the face with a single punch in an unprovoked attack on June 15.
The impact knocked the victim, from Oldbury, unconscious. He suffered head injuries when his head hit the pavement.
At Dudley Youth Court yesterday, Redden, of Long Lane, Halesowen, was sentenced after pleading guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.
Today is the first time he can be identified after reporting restrictions were lifted following an application by the Express & Star.
Imposing an 18-month custodial sentence, chairman of the bench, Kenneth Slater, told Redden he had been reckless as to the consequences of his action.
He said: "This will never be over for Conor Southall. You will have to live with that for the rest of your life."
The court heard the victim was with a friend when they saw three teenagers including the defendant in Olive Lane, Halesowen.
Mr David Truelove, prosecuting, said: "It was entirely unprovoked and the one blow caused Conor Southall to sustain catastrophic injuries."
The court heard Conor now requires round-the-clock care. He has difficulty talking and walking when tired and will probably never be able to drive a car.
Mr Shabeer Qureshi, defending, said Redden denied intending the harm caused.
"He accepts causing the harm, he accepts it was a blow he dealt, but he has always denied he intended the harm caused," he said.
Speaking directly to the magistrates, Redden said: "I do regret what I have done. I knew I shouldn't have done it, but at the time I was not thinking straight."
By Alex Ross
Manchester suicide bombing: Live updates as 22 killed and more than 50 injured in terror attack after Ariana Grande concert
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.