Advertising

Return of Wolverhampton's Lindy Lou's

By Jessica Labhart | Wolverhampton entertainment | Published: | Last Updated:

It has been a bakers, tea shop, store and welfare centre - now it will become a coffee shop.

The iconic building in Victoria Street Wolverhampton is known locally as the Copper Kettle.

The timber framed building was restored between 1979 to 1981, but its foundations go back to 1600s.

Having closed as a book and collectables store, it has laid empty for more than a year.

But work is being carried out to turn the building into a coffee shop, with potential opening next Thursday.

It will be called Lindy Lou's Coffee House - named after Lindy Lou Toy Shop, which once occupied the building.

The venture is by family members Charlie Causer, his father Tony Cause and step mother Lin South.

Charlie, who used to work at St Nicholas Bar and Grill in Shrewsbury, will run the day-to-day operation.

The family have renovated the interior, creating a main lounge and two side rooms for customers.

Advertising

A kitchen has been fitted at the back of the building.

He said: "We came and viewed the place in May and immediately fell in love with the place.

"The history goes back along way and the feel of the place inside is great.

"It is perfect for what we want to do."

Advertising

The coffee house will begin by selling hot drinks, cake and sandwiches.

But it could go on and sell cocktails after applying for a licence with Wolverhampton council.

Charlie added: "We've been doing the work inside and we keep getting people coming up to us and asking what we are doing.

"There is big interest in this building and we're happy to reopen it for public use again."

A plaque has been fitted on the building stating 1300, but heritage experts believe this was a Victorian joke.

Instead, it is believed to date to the first half of the 17th century.

It survived Wolverhampton’s two great fires in 1590 and 1696, and it arguably the best known building in the city centre after St Peter's Church.

The earliest record of the building show that it was owned by Sir Walter Leveson in 1609 and was a pub, the Hand Inn, ran by a Mr Worthington.

More recently, the building which is known locally as the Copper Kettle, has been a bakers, a tea shop, the Lindy Lou baby and toy shop, a welfare advice centre, clothes shop and Wulfrun Books - a book and collectables store.

When the building was restored it was stripped down to its timber frame. A bronze plaque commemorates its opening.

It reads 'This 16th century timber framed building was restored during the years 1979 to 1981 with funds provided by Wolverhampton Borough Council, the West Midlands County Council and Hortons Estate Limited."

It was opened by the Mayor of Wolverhampton, Councillor Herbert Edwin Lane, on February 9 in 1981.

Jessica Labhart

By Jessica Labhart
@JLabhart_star

Reporter for the Express & Star, primarily covering Wolverhampton.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News