Cordon lifted after Bridgnorth gas leak evacuation
The cordon has now been fully lifted and most residents have been able to return home after a gas leak in Bridgnorth High Street.
Several residents had to be housed for the evening by Bridgnorth Town Council, and there was a large cordon in place with a big presence of firefighters and gas and electricity engineers working to make the area safe.
There was still a small cordon in place early this morning which has now been lifted.
West Mercia Police said: "The cordon has now been fully lifted, however utility companies will remain in the area this morning."
Shropshire Fire Service said the cause of the leak was a fault in an electrical cable sat above the gas pipe, which caused a small explosion which ruptured the gas main.
Bridgnorth Fire said: "Apparently It’s very rare for this kind of damage to occur. We have been incredibly lucky it didn’t ignite the gas."
The service confirmed there is a small cordon still in place this morning. They added: "There may still be a few people that can't get back to their homes. We left the scene at around midnight."
Last night fire crews confirmed that residual gas levels inside the properties within the inner cordon were too high to allow residents back in, but external levels were safe enough for engineers to repair damage to the gas and electricity supply lines.
Superintendent Jon Marsden said yesterday: "The gas leak in Bridgnorth High Street has been isolated, the cordon has been scaled down and the majority of residents from the area are now able to return home.
"Those that aren't able to return to their homes are being kept informed of developments and have been housed for the evening by Bridgnorth Town Council.
"I am pleased to say there have been no casualties during the incident and I would like to thank the local residents for their patience and understanding the need for us to secure the leak and make the area safe.
"This has involved many agencies from across the area including local authority, fire service, NHS, gas and electricity companies. I would like to thank all those involved for pulling together to respond quickly to the incident."