Ollie the cat becomes family's second victim of anti-freeze poisoning
A family cat has been killed by anti-freeze poisoning - just months after his owner's other feline died in the same way.
Two-year-old Ollie was poisoned when he drank a large quantity of anti-freeze.
His owner Corinne Dubberley, who lives in Millard Road, Bilston, has been left devastated after her black and white shorthair died, despite her best efforts to save him.
She said: "He could hardly walk so we put him straight into the cat box and took him to the vets, where they said he had been poisoned.
"They tried to flush it out but he deteriorated quickly. They could not save him."
Ollie, who died on April 13, is Ms Dubberley's second pet to be killed by anti-freeze poisoning, after losing her cat Jess in January.
She also claimed there have been three others in the area who suffered the same fate in the last 16 days.
RSPCA animal welfare officer Elaine Williams said: "This is a very upsetting incident which has resulted in the death of a much-loved family pet.
"At this stage we do not know if these were accidental incidents or deliberate but in the meantime we would ask everyone in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals and make sure they are secure and out of the way of cats.
"Making sure anti-freeze lids are shut tightly or cleaning up any spillages may save an animal's life.
"If anyone has any information, please contact the RSPCA on 0300 123 8018."
Pet owners have been urged to be vigilant and keep an eye on their cats' wellbeing - if they are showing symptoms of poisoning, take them for veterinary treatment immediately.
Signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after ingestion to two or three days.
This can include some, or all of the following symptoms: vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk or uncoordinated, seizures and difficulty breathing.
Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.