Walsall father committed suicide hours after being arrested

Walsall | News | Published:

A Black Country father-of-two hanged himself after being arrested by police, an inquest has been told.

Gary Slater, 48, from Walsall, was found by his sister after being arrested by West Midlands Police on April 3.

He had confessed to the crimes, which were not revealed at the inquest at the Black Country Coroner's Court, earlier in the day and been released pending further forensic investigation. However he was found dead later the same day.

After his arrest he was taken to his Walsall home by West Midlands Police and when he arrived his wife, Nicole, left to stay in a local hotel.

Assistant coroner David Urpeth explained how after his wife had left, Mr Slater went to visit his mother and sister and then his two daughters, aged 17 and 19.

Mr Urpeth added: "He said goodbye to everyone and then went home and hung himself, leaving notes."

Mrs Slater had been worried about her husband and asked his sister to call round.

She briefly giving evidence to confirm that she thought her husband had killed himself on purpose.

Mr Slater had told West Midlands Police that he was 'fine' and 'fit to go' after confessing to the crimes but was given self-harm advice and handed a suicide prevention pack.


Monday's inquest was told that due to the recent police contact before Mr Slater's death, West Midlands Police had referred itself to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.

The commission recommended the force carry out an internal inquiry, which found no wrongdoing.

Mr Urpeth concluded that Mr Slater had committed suicide by hanging.

He said: "I am satisfied beyond all reasonable doubt that the appropriate conclusion is suicide. The evidence was overwhelming that Mr Slater took his own life.


"That is tragic for him and for all those he leaves behind. I would like to offer my condolences to his family."

A statement from West Midlands Police said: "A man was arrested on 3 April from his home address in Walsall after officers executed a search warrant.

"He was taken into West Midlands Police custody for questioning and later released while additional enquiries were carried out. Officers returned the 48-year-old to his home address and welfare issues were addressed with him and his next of kin.

"Police were made aware by ambulance colleagues that the man had been found dead at home later that day."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News