The fire broke out on the 35ft narrow boat, which was moored in the canal off Cambridge Street close to the ICC in Birmingham, at around 10pm on Monday night.
Firefighters managed to rescue a pair of husky dogs from the unattended barge.
Crews from Perry Barr, Ladywood and Highgate fire stations raced to the scene and help douse the flames.
They led the two dogs to safety after their owners returned to the scene and discovered the fire.
Emergency services were alerted to the blaze on Cambridge Street, at around 10pm, after the owners called 999.
Firefighters entered the craft and rescued the dogs from the blaze.
A West Midlands Fire Service spokesman said: "We were called at 10.02pm and a crew from Perry Barr attended with our tech rescue team as well.
"It was near Cambridge Street in the city centre and the fire was within a narrow boat which measured 35ft in length.
"The fire was confined to the narrow boat and a forced entry was made by our crews who used two sets of breathing apparatus.
"They rescued two dogs.
"The fire had caused around 60 per cent fire damage to the barge and 100 percent smoke and heat damage.
"The two occupants were in attendance and arranged alternative accommodation for the night."
An investigation has confirmed the fire was accidental.
Police were also in attendance, with Solihull Police Partnership Team tweeting: "Officers on this operation have attended a fire on a canal barge close to the ICC in #Birmingham.
"Two huskies were rescued from the fire by officers and have now been returned to their owner. @wmfs are in attendance."