Advertising

Warning to pet owners as woman convinced family dog ate poison while out on walk

Walsall | News | Published:

A dog owner who says her family pet died after eating poison at a popular walking spot is warning others of the danger.

Laura Davis is convinced the family dog, German pointer Meg, ate the poison while being walked by her father, Alan, at Clayhanger Common, Brownhills, on January 10.

She is now determined to warn as many others as possible after five-year-old Meg was put down on Tuesday afternoon.

Meg and Alan Davis
Poisoned Meg with Alan Davis

The family believe the poison was concealed in meat and may have been placed at the site by someone seeking to target foxes.

Laura, aged 27, said: "We are completely devastated.

"We had all hoped she would pull through but in her last two days it just became clear that she wouldn't be able to.

Advertising

"This is a cruel human act and something needs to be done by us pet lovers to ensure that these sick people stop what they are doing right now.

"Our hearts are broken right now we don't want it to happen to someone else."

Alan spotted Meg eat something from the grass at the common, but thought little of it until 24 hours after the walk when the dog became sick.

Within 48 hours Meg's condition had deteriorated and she was rushed to Warren House Veterinary Centre in Brownhills where tests revealed she had been poisoned.

Advertising

She was put on a drip and sent home two days later - but within hours she had collapsed and was returned to the vets.

Laura is furious her family have been put in distress.

She added: "We are determined to get to the bottom of this."

Laura and Alan have been visiting the common without Meg to warn other pet owners about the risk of poison on the site.

Laura has also set up a Facebook group which already has nearly 500 members.

Meg was put down at Warren House Veterinary Centre in Brownhills on Tuesday afternoon.

Laura Hamilton, veterinary surgeon, said: "She presented collapsed, freezing cold and she was sick repeatedly after eating something two days earlier.

"Nothing else had changed in her routine at all.

"She suffered very acute kidney damage.

"It was surprising to see a young dog effected so quickly, it had to be something very poisonous and toxic.

"Apparently other people in this area have had similar experiences, although this is the only dog to come into us."

After confirming Meg, aged 5, had been put down Ms Hamilton added: "We have just put Meg to sleep.

"The owners didn't want to put her through anymore.

"It is a real shame.

"They are absolutely devastated."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News