Man plunged 85ft to his death from Birmingham's Raddison Blu hotel

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

A man plunged to his death from Birmingham's iconic Raddisson Blu hotel, despite efforts from police and a nearby hotel worker to bring him down safely, an inquest heard.

COPYRIGHT EXPRESS&STAR TIM THURSFIELD 01/06/09 An aerial shot over Birmingham, showing the Radisson Hotel(left), which is the highest building in the city.

Joel Herbert died after falling from the roof of the 39-storey hotel in February.

Police officers and a nearby hotel worker have now been praised for their efforts in trying to save the life of the 21-year-old from Essington after an Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) investigation.

Officers swarmed on the hotel on Holloway Circus in February after receiving reports Mr Herbert was sitting on the edge of the roof wearing headphones.

A police officer and three negotiators spent two hours trying to convince him to come down from the roof but he fell to his death at 11.30pm.

Following an investigation into what happened, the IPCC said it was confident the officers had done everything they could to try to save Mr Herbert's life.

The actions of a worker from the nearby Holiday Inn, who was the first to try to make contact with the victim prior to the arrival of the police, were also praised.

Family members of Mr Herbert had questioned why an inflatable mat or net was not used to break his fall, but the report said these were not an option for any UK police force.

Mr Herbert had checked in to the Radisson at around 1.45pm on the day he died, February 25, the report said. He was then spotted on the roof by the Holiday Inn worker at 9.10pm. The hotel worker called police before making his way to the top of the NCP car park, which is next to the Radisson to try to get closer to Mr Herbert.


He managed to get within feet of him, but attempts to communicate with him were unsuccessful.

Police officers then arrived and tried to engage with the victim, but had little success.

Medics were on the scene immediately after Mr Herbert fell 85ft but he died of his injuries. He was pronounced dead at 11.50pm. An inquest in June returned a narrative verdict. Traces of MDMA or a derivative and cannabis were found in his system.

The IPCC report said: "The evidence suggests that the police officers have worked diligently to try to preserve Joel Herbert's life but were ultimately unable to do so.


"There is no evidence to suggest that officers at the scene could have done anything more to preserve the life of Joel Herbert.

"There is no evidence that a change in policy or practical implementation would have changed the outcome of the incident.

"They should all be commended for showing empathy and commitment to preserving the life of Joel Herbert in difficult and challenging circumstances."

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.


Top Stories


More from the Express & Star

UK & International News