Advertising

300 jobs to go as Wolverhampton's Goodyear confirms closure

Wolverhampton | News | Published:

The fight is over for Goodyear workers after bosses announced the landmark Wolverhampton factory will definitely close – with more than 300 jobs to go.

The plant in Bushbury Lane will shut completely by January 2017, the firm said earlier this evening following a consultation period with union bosses and staff.

It will close in phases with the first batch of redundancies likely to be announced on New Year's Eve.

The final news, which will bring to an end almost 90 years of history, has been met with criticism and concern from the city workers' union representatives and Wolverhampton North East MP Emma Reynolds.

In a statement, the firm, which first announced the closure plans in June, said: "Following a collective consultation period with our employee representatives and unions, the company has now reached a decision to implement its proposal to close its Wolverhampton mixing and retreading facility.

"It is important to understand that no alternatives to the company's proposal have been made. Closure will happen on a phased basis. The first roles to be made redundant are likely to occur on December 31, 2015, with anticipated production at the plant ending no earlier than January 2017."

When the decision to close the Wolverhampton branch was announced four months ago, management said the plant had become commercially uneconomic due to falling sales and the value of the pound on international markets.

Advertising

The statement said it will now focus on putting together redundancy settlements and helping works apply for vacancies at other locations.

The statement reads: "During the coming months, our focus is to find responsible and fair solutions for the employees affected by this decision, including the opportunity to apply for vacancies at our other locations.

"We have not, however, reached an agreement with the union on the redundancy settlement for those affected by this decision."

Andy Taylor, regional officer for Unite the Union, said the consultation was not 'meaningful'.

Sorry, we are not accepting comments on this article.

Advertising

Top Stories

Advertising

More from the Express & Star

UK & International News